Monday, November 10, 2008

Oscar's Can

Does anyone know why Oscar lives in a trash can?

My sweet Luke sat watching Sesame Street this morning, and as he watched, he was also asking me questions. Nothing new, he's full of non-stop questions about things I really know nothing about. Anyway, he was pondering why Oscar lives in a trash can. "I have no idea, son. All I know is that he lived in a trash can when I was a little girl, and it appears he is still living in the same trash can now." Why, I wonder? What is the purpose of Oscar? He's grouchy and mean to everyone else living happily on Sesame Street. He never wants to sing the "ABC's", or count, or talk about the shapes and colors, and he never wants to play any games with anyone else. And he's SOOOO messy. That's not really a good example to be setting for our little ones. And, if he's so unhappy there, why is he - after more that 25 years - still there?

As I wonder, myself, about Oscar, it makes me consider my own trash can. Sometimes, I think, we get stuck in our routine of life (our trash-can, if you will) and, even though we say we really are happy where we are, it really puts us in a bad mood and we lash out at everyone around us. I think many of us have our own trash cans that we are living in. Some of them - like mine - are stacked inside of each other. Things I want to change, things that negatively affect my attitude and my self-esteem. "I wish I could lose some weight", "I wish we had more money", "I wish I was further in my walk with the Lord", "I wish, I wish, I wish . . . " If I let myself get carried away wishing, I never get around to changing anything, and I remain stuck in my trash can and everyone else pays the price of my negativity. SOOOO, let me apologize to those who have recieved the outpouring of my trash can attitude. I know the trash can life is not what God has for me. I pray for contentment for where I am, but also for hope for where I'm going. I will not be an Oscar, stuck for years in a trash can of unhappiness!

3 comments:

As We Are said...

Amanda, this is so good. I needed to read this! Thank you for sharing your heart! I also refuse to stach my trash cans. Let's throw those stupid things out!

Tammy said...

You speak it girl!!! Amanda, I so feel your pain. I appreciate you sharing your heart with me. That is something that is still so hard for me to do about so many things. You are a beautiful person with a huge heart. Love you lots, Aunt Tammy

Courtney said...

Amanda,

I'm 34 and he's been there ever since I can remember as well. Here, here to stompin' and beatin' on our trash cans to make some noise! Time to turn their job from draggin' us down to liftin' us up! STOMP!