Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"They tricked me!"

A new adventure in the life of my Sadie girl.
For several weeks now, she has been asking to get "holes in her ears". Now, for those of you familiar with my little drama queen, I had pictured a joyous trip to the mall, followed by hysterical screaming as she changed her mind at the last minute.
We talked it over seriously for about 3 days.
She decided she did NOT want to wait until Daddy gets his next pay check, but she wanted to use her very own money (precious coins she's saving for her next American Girl - a whole new post for another day!) and go NOW!
So, we arrive at the mall, joyously bouncing around like a crazy person, and proceed to locate the famous Claire's jewelry store. As we get closer and closer, she begins to slow her stride, and her bouncing becomes a little less evident. She looks up at me. "Mommy, what if I change my mind?" Oh, no. Not happening. By the time we arrive, she sayes her tummy hurts.
But, she picks out the pair that she likes - sparkly, diamond looking things, and climbs up in the chair. Then climbs back down. "Mommy, can I sit in your lap?"
Oh great. Here we go. Cue hysterics at any moment.
She lets the nice man clean her ears and put the fabulous little purple dots on her ears. Then she decides she's done. She doesn't really like this place after all, and she really doesn't need any holes in her ears just now. Are you kidding me?
So, the very smart man at Claire's called the two lovely ladies over that are working with him. The talk her out from behind the chair. (Oh, yes. By this time, she had climbed out of my lap, and was hiding behind the big chair in tears) They ask if they can just "measure the dots". That's all, they just want to "measure" They are brilliant. They grab their "measuring devices" and count to 3. "OW!OW!OW! That hurt! What? You're done?"
SUCCESS!!!! And on the very first trip!
She looks fabulous with her new sparkly earrings, and she is so proud of them. She tells everyone she sees that the ladies tricked her, but I'm so very grateful to the tricky Claire's girls!
So, if anyone needs some really good "hole punchers" - let me recommend the Claire's in Sooner Mall in Norman, OK. Go on a Monday afternoon/early evening. They are never busy - and they measure those dots like you've never seen!

6 comments:

Tammy said...

Oh my word! I can not believe she was so brave :) I would have been running out of the mall. haha Miss Sadie, I love your new sparkly diamond earrings. What a big girl you were. Amanda, it seems like it should not be your daughter but YOU going to the mall to get your ears pierced. Time goes so fast, huh? I am so glad you decided to blog. Think we can get your Mom to sign up?

As We Are said...

Sadie, I am proud of you too! I told Kailee that you got your ears pierced and she screamed. She is scared, but jealous of your cute earrings. Maybe you can talk to her about how easy it was? We can't wait to see them!

Mama Duck said...

Love it!!! I am laughing hysterically! I will so use that measuring trick when it is time to take Layla in a few years!

Erin L. said...

Hey Amanda, it's good to see you blogging. I will have to remember your ear measuring trick. Kaylin's just starting to ask, but I think she needs another year or two. I hope all is well!!

Jen said...

What a great story :-) I can't believe I didn't even notice the earrings on Friday!

Courtney said...

dude - why? Madeline's started to ask but I a wuss - hoping she forgets. It was so much easier in college...